It All Adds Up To Cleaner Air is committed to respecting your right to privacy and will protect it when you visit our Web site. Here are some things you should know about how we protect your privacy. If you have any questions or comments about the information presented here, please contact us.
Information Collected and Stored Automatically
- When you visit our Web site we collect certain information about your visit that does not identify you personally. We can tell the type of computer, browser, and Web service you are using. We also know the date and time you visit and the pages you visit. Collecting this information helps us design the site according to your needs. You can see an example of the information we collect below.
- Sometimes we use "cookies," which are small amounts of text we store on your computer. We only use "session cookies" in places where people can transact business; we only store the cookie on your computer during that visit; and we'll notify you in advance. So, if you are entering information for a business transaction, you won't lose the information if you go to another site and come back during the visit. After you turn off your computer or stop using the Internet, the cookie is erased.
- No attempts are made to identify individual users or their usage habits. Raw data logs are used for no other purposes and are scheduled for regular destruction in accordance with National Archives and Records Administration guidelines.
- We would only try to identify you personally when required to do so by a law enforcement investigation. Any information we collect for those investigations is destroyed according to federal guidelines.
Information You Submit
- We collect personally identifiable information (name and e-mail address, for example) only if specifically and knowingly provided by you.
- Personally identifying information that you provide will only be used for responding to your comment or inquiry and is not made available for other purposes. No personal information collected is sold or otherwise transferred to a third party.
- For site security purposes and to ensure that this service remains available to all users, this government computer system employs industry-standard methods to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage.
- When you submit personal information using our Web site we have systems that make sure outside people cannot access your personal information.
- Tampering with this Web site is against the law. If anyone tries to tamper with it, they may be punished under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986 and the National Information Infrastructure Protection Act.
Links to Other Sites
- Our Web site has links to many other Web sites. When you go to another site, you are subject to the privacy and security policies of that site. We cannot attest to the accuracy of information provided there
- Linking to a Web site does not constitute an endorsement by the U.S. Department of Transportation or the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, or any of its employees, of the sponsors of the site or the products presented on the site.
Copyrights and Distribution
- This Web site is provided as a public service. Information presented on this Web site is considered public information and may be distributed or copied. The U.S. Government retains a nonexclusive, royalty-free license to publish or reproduce these documents, or allow others to do so, for U.S. Government purposes. These documents may be freely distributed and used for non-commercial, scientific and educational purposes. Commercial use of the documents available from this server may be protected under the U.S. and Foreign Copyright Laws. Individual documents on this server may have different copyright conditions, and that will be noted in those documents.
Notification of Changes
Example of the Information Collected for Statistical Purposes
Below is an example of the information collected and stored in our logs based on a standard request for a document from our Web site:
xxx.yyy.com - - [28/Jan/1997:00:00:01 -0500] "GET /sitename/news/nr012797.html HTTP/1.0" 200 16704 Mozilla 3.0/www.websitename.com
Each item stored in our logs is described below:
xxx.yyy.com (or 22.214.171.124) -- this is the host name (or IP address) associated with the requester (you as the visitor). In this case, (....com) the requester is coming from a commercial address. Depending on the requestor's method of network connection, the host name (or IP address) may or may not identify a specific computer. Connections via many Internet Service Providers (ISP) assign different IP addresses for each session, so the host name identifies only the ISP. The host name (or IP address) will identify a specific computer if that computer has a fixed IP address.
[28/Jan/1997:00:00:01 -0500] -- this is the date and time of the request
"GET /sitename/news/nr012797.html HTTP/1.0" -- this is the location of the requested file
200 -- this is the status code - 200 is OK - the request was filled
16704 -- this is the size of the requested file in bytes
Mozilla 3.0 -- this identifies the type of browser software used to access the page, which indicates what design parameters to use in constructing the pages
www.websitename.com -- this indicates the last site the person visited, which indicates how people find this site
Requests for other types of documents use similar information. No other user-identifying information is collected. If you have any questions about this, or how information is collected and stored, please contact us.